Friday, July 12, 2013

Instructions on how I paint this saguaro.

Yes, I know if you are a follower of my blog that you have seen this image many times before.  It has become my signature piece.  I sold a large version of it a few weeks ago so decided I must do another.  This one is medium size, 11X14.  Even though I paint "Surreal Saguaro" frequently each one is unique in its' own way. Here is a step-by-step run through of how they are created:
1. I draw the saguaro freehand with a chalk pencil on the canvas That has been base coated.
2. I then randomly divide it into abstract sections.
3. With no idea in mind I pick a color and start to paint in a section or two on each arm then choose another color and continue this process until each section is painted in.  4.Next I shade the edges of each section with a complementary darker color.
5. Once this is done I start decorating each section with dots or swirls or whatever comes to mind with a color that I think will make the designs stand out. 
6. When the designs are done I outline each section with black paint.
7.  This is the part that I always hesitate on before doing.  The saguaro looks pretty good at this point and I am tempted to leave well enough alone but it still doesn't have the 3D effect.  To obtain that look I must divide each arm into thin vertical sections with black paint.  I lightly chalk in the divisions then hold my breath and paint over the chalk lines in black.
8. The last step in achieving the 3D look is to highlight with white.  I paint in a thin white line in the center of each of the "ribs".
9.  To finish the painting I complete the border, sign it and apply a coat or two of polycrylic.  It is now ready for the frame.

I don't mind telling how I create a painting because I taught decorative painting for over 15 years and it is in my nature to share my techniques.  If you have any questions go to the place below where it says "no comments" and click on that and a window will come up that allows you to comment.  Ask your question and leave an email address and I will answer you that way.

Oh, forgot to mention I sold my "San Xavier Mission" painting and a rose bowl at the SAAG Gallery yesterday. 

No comments: