Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Framing Lesson

It is time to take a break from painting and get caught up on my framing.  Here is a step by step series of photos showing the procedure of how I frame my paintings.
My Framing Tools.
                                                       

1.  After placing canvas in frame I shoot in the framers points with the framers gun.
2.  I apply double stick tape around the edges with a double stick tape gun.
3.  Roll the paper across the back of the frame letting it overhang the edges.
4.  Cut off the paper roll then trim the excess paper on the edges using Stanley knife.
5. Measure and mark where you want to place screws that hold wire.  I usually place them about 1/4 of the way down from top.  Oh, by the way make sure you check the painting and have the correct side of the painting up.  I've learned this lesson the hard way!
6.  Punch starter hole with hole punch.
7.  I then screw in a 1/2 inch #8 lath screw about half way down.  I like these screws because they have a large head that holds the wire against the frame.
8.  Next wrap #2 braided picture wire around one screw two times then wrap it around its self and trim excess.  Stretch the wire loosely leaving a little slack to the other screw and wrap it around the screw twice and then around itself  a few times and trim excess. Finally, tighten the screws against the frame to hold wire in place.
9. I finish the frame back by applying a business card and painting title card with the double stick tape gun.  Last of all I sign the back using a Sharpie.
 
The back of the painting is  as important as the front. I like to have a nice neat looking back. I have finished many paintings in the past few months, 24 in fact, and have put off doing the framing.  1 down and 23 to go!

No comments: