Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Two Paintings Completed Yesterday!

I had a productive day yesterday.  I completed the cactus painting that I had started a few days ago then set aside to paint a couple of functional items for the gallery.  The title of this one is "Red Torch Cactus" and the size is 11X9.
I finished it in the morning then went to lunch with friends.  When we got home from lunch I decided to do a sketch for a canvas I had base coated and was ready to paint.  I thought awhile about what I would do.  The frame is navy blue with gold trim  and I had blue and gold in the base coat.  I stared at the canvas for awhile trying to come up with ideas when I suddenly remebered a painting I did years ago that had indian corn.  One of the ears of corn was blue so that was the start of the idea.  Since I have done a number of Southwest Still Life paintings lately I decided to go in that direction.  I did not want to use a lot of bright colors so decided to use a burlap type cloth as the base and an agave in a pot.  It needed something else and I got the idea of using a wedding pot.  I did the sketch and liked it so started the painting.  Once I started it I couldn't stop until it was finished.  I worked for about 5 hours on the sketch and painting.  I was tired when it was done but it was worth it.  I love what I came up with!  I call it "Pots, Plants and Indian Corn".  Size is 8X10.

 Looks like I have started a" Pots, Plants and ?" series.  I alread have an idea for the next one.  I might get the sketch done today but since I have to work the SAAG Gallery this afternoon, go squaredancing this evening and bowling and Bible Study tomorrow it might be awhile until I start the actual painting.

No comments: