Friday, June 21, 2013

An Inspired Painting

There are times that something I see inspires me to do a painting.  Here is how this painting came about.  I follow an artist from Surprise, AZ on facebook.  Along with photos of her paintings she posts inspirational thoughts.  When I saw the one below, not only was I inspired by the message but also by the photo.
When I saw the Bleeding Heart flowers a flood of memories came over me.  I thought of my grandma's garden and how much I loved those little heart shaped flowers.  She lived far from me but when we visited I remember playing in her garden.  In those days (this was the late 40's) there was no such thing as landscaping.  Flowers grew in a garden just like vegetables....row after row of beautiful flowers.  I started to think of the others that made an impression on me. Hollyhocks came to mind.  She taught me how to make little dolls out of the blooms.  Then I thought of the colorful Gladiolus and the tiny little blue Bachelor Buttons and of course my favorite the Iris.  With these thoughts in my mind I decided to do a painting and title it "Grandma's Garden".   How will I present all these flowers in a folk art style I wondered?  They suddenly I thought of doing them as a quilt.  I slept on that idea and the next morning my eyes rested on a crazy quilt was made for my mother in 1931 when she was 10 years old by her grandma.  Here is a photo of the quilt.
The odd shaped patches both floral and plain told me the direction to go in.  I found the perfect 11X14 frame.  I chose a color pallet and started by painting in the shapes keeping in mind which flowers would go where.
After doing some internet research on the flowers I wanted to incorporate to make sure my memory of what they looked like was correct I drew the pattern then did the painting.  I was obsessed with getting this done.  I spent one day on the background and drawing and spent seven hours yesterday painting the flowers.  Here is the painting.
I had another inspiration while writing this.  My grandma's name was Flora.  Isn't that perfect for such a painting.  I am changing the title to "Grandma Flora's Garden" 
Thank-you Nancy for your post that was the inspiration for this painting.
 

No comments: