Monday, January 6, 2014

Cowgirl Dream

This is the first painting I completed in 2014.  It is something new.  I have three long skinny frames that I wanted to fill.  Each one is different from the others.  I decided to do something horizontal in this one.  I put the blank canvas in the frame and stared at it for awhile and at first thought I would do three pair of boots.  Anyone who knows me knows I have a boot fetish.  (I own 20 pair)  Any way I base coated the canvas using colors that would compliment the frame. Once that was done I started drawing the pattern on tracing paper.  After I drew the rug and first pair of boots I decided not to do three pair of boots but other cowgirl type of items.  I drew in the hat and thought sunflowers would make it girly looking so drew in a few of those.  I needed something else so did a little research on the computer on western gear and the minute I saw a lantern I knew that would be perfect.  I put in the lantern and another sunflower and  that was all it needed.  I think it took longer to come up with the idea and drawing then the actual painting time.  I did not have a title in mind but once it was finished I thought it looked like a flying carpet and the lantern had a sort of dreamy look to it so came up with the title "Cowgirl Dream".  Size of the painting is 8X20. 
I have the next canvas prepped  and have transferred the pattern on to it so it is ready to paint.  This one is the same size and will be vertical.  If you check back a few posts you will see a coyote that is on a stand.  I thought it would be fun to do him on canvas howling at the moon.   I'm glad I made a pattern of him before I took him to the gallery because he sold and is now in his new home.  I also sent a copy of the pattern to my son who cuts wooden items for me so that he can make a few more that will sit on a stand.  Well, I've been on the computer long enough.  Time to start work on Mr. Coyote.

No comments: