Tuesday, February 7, 2012

A new cactus flower painting

Red Needles and Orange Blooms
9X22
I had a very productive week.  I finished this one today.  I had to refinish the frame and decided to go with a dark stain.  I then looked at my paints and the burnt orange caught my eye.  I painted in the background still not knowing what the subject of the painting would be.  After staring at the canvas I suddenly could see flowers in the shading of the background.  I started sketching and this is what I came up with.  I am not sure if there are any real cacti like this but I claim artistic license in what I created!

I have an idea for my next painting so there will be no staring at a blank canvas looking for inspiration. This will be something different.  Something I have never painted before.  As always, I'll post a photo when it is done.

No comments: