Friday, February 10, 2012

Dragon Painting

Year of the Dragon
14X18
I mentioned in a previous post that I knew what my next painting would be.  This is it.  I had this bamboo frame and since this is the year of the dragon I decided that would be a perfect subject for the frame.  I did a Google search on Chinese dragon paintings and found many examples and all were different.  There didn't seem to be any tradition to follow so  I decided to just do my own thing.  This is what I came up with.  I wanted to get a fierce look on the dragon's face but no matter how I tried he just kept looking flirty so I finally decided to leave him that way.  He looks more like Puff the Magic Dragon then the menacing dragon I had in mind.  Oh well, what you see is what you get. I guess I can't do mean.  Maybe I will do him again in pastel colors and flying in the clouds and title it Puff.  I'll keep that idea in mind for the future.  For now the next painting will be of desert critters which I may show it the exhibition scheduled for next year.

No comments: