Monday, September 3, 2012

Two new bowls

Two more bowls completed. They are both 12 inch wooden bowls. The "Desert Scene" bowl is a slightly mishapen round bowl and the "Sarape" bowl is round with scallopes. Bowls are a little harder to paint than canvas or trays which are flat. I have to try to keep a steady hand when working on the rounded surface. Then there is the problem of keeping my brush from touching the edge of the bowl when working. I go through a lot of Q-tips wiping away unwanted swishes of paint that seem to appear on the edges. I have done the desert scene on many bowls and trays in the past and they always seem to sell quickly. While I have incorporated the sarape in paintings before I have never done one on a bowl. I thought the scalloped contour of the bowl would lend itself to the folds in the sarape. Like the rose bowl in the last post it had a distinct 3D look. Just two months to go until the art fair so I will continue to paint every day if possible. I have two trays and another bowl in the prep stage. I have pretty much decided what I am going to paint on them. I want to have a good variety to choose from. I would also like to mention that while doing spell check it tells me that "Sarape" shoud be "Serape". I have run into that in the past so did some research and found that both spellings are acceptable.

No comments: