Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Functional Items

I finished a number of paintings for an upcoming group exhibition and for a contest in October but decided to wait until I get notification of acceptance before I post photos. I decided to start work on functional items for the November art fair. I have completed two projects. The first is a 10' bowl that I call my "Rose Bowl". You have seen versions of this painting before but I have never done it on a bowl. I was amazed at the 3D look. The petals seem to be growing out of the bowl. Sometimes I surprise myself! The other project is a "Pepper Tray". I got the pepper shaped tray at a yard sale knowing that I would do the chili pepper design. I did a step by step photo shoot which I posted on Facebook. It only took me a couple of days to paint. I have more trays and bowls that I will paint along with more domino holders before I get back to canvas painting. Oh, I forgot to mention I also completed a new cross painting but have not put the polycrylic on it yet. I'll post a photo when I get that done. I find paintings photograph better with the polycrylic finish and craft items photograph better without the final finish. This is, because of the shape, they do not catch a reflection as they do if they have the shiny finish. It took me awhile to figure this out.

No comments: