Thursday, February 28, 2013

Lady with Lilies

This is the new painting I mentioned in my last post.  I have a friend who commissioned me to do a collage painting.  She wanted me to incorporate two paintings I have done before with some modifications along with a third panel based on a work by Diego Rivera.  I did some internet research and also came up with the work of Lorenzo Cruz Sunu from Guatemala who has done similar types of paintings.  What my friend wanted is an Indian or Mexican lady viewed from the back with a bouquet of calla lilies with a sarape draped on her shoulders and a long braid.  My painting is not a copy of the artists I mentioned but by looking at their work of similar subject matter I got inspiration for my own painting.  I did this 8 1/2 X 11 painting as a test run.  Once I get approval from my friend I will start her large 20X24 collage painting.  I enjoyed doing this one because it is something I have never tried before.  I am sure I will do variations of it in the future.  Maybe do a series using different types of flowers. 

2 comments:

Doodles said...

It's Beautiful!

Pam Davidson said...

Thanks. Glad you like it. I am working on the collage painting which will include this image and a couple of others. I'll post a photo as soon as it is done.