Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Roses in Talavera Vase

"Roses in Talavera Vase"
11X15
This is my latest painting based on flowers featured in Mexican Folk art.  In my research I found the story of the rose which I will post below. I also decided to put them in a Talavera vase.   When I have time I will do more research on Talavera pottery.  I have use that theme in many previous paintings but don't know the history of the pottery.  I think the next time I do another version of this painting I will make the roses white.  That will give it more balance with the white cloth and also make the vase  more of a focal point.  Here is the story of the rose:
· Rosa (Rosaceae Rosa)

The rose is probably one of the most popular flowers around the globe, often symbolizing love and beauty.

Roses have a special place in Mexican religious culture as they play a central roll in the story of the Virgin of Guadalupe appearance before peasant Juan Diego on Tepeyac hill.

The virgin asked him to climb the hill and to pick the roses that he would find in bloom, despite being winter, and carefully arranged the flowers inside Juan Diego's tilma asking him to unfold it before the Bishop as prove of her appearance.

When Juan Diego did as told, the roses cascaded from the cloth showing an icon of Our Lady of Guadalupe miraculously impressed on it.



No comments: