Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Mexicali Still Life on Bowl

I am posting this photo of a bowl I will be entering in a chili pepper exhibition.  I have two paintings that I will also enter but have not taken photos of them yet.  I will do that after I complete the framing.  Hopefully I will be accepted with at least one of my entries.

This is a large bowl that is 14' in diameter.  I don't know what kind of wood it is made of but it is very heavy.  It was dark in color and had a gloss on it.  After sanding I stained it in the same dark color.  It has a turquoise insert along the outer rim which I left.  I picked up the turquoise color in the painting and added dots in the same color along the inner rim.   I decided to not make the chili peppers the main focus of the painting.  I have studied much Mexican folk art and thought I would do a still life featuring things that I have seen in that type of art.  I have done similar paintings like this in the past which I call my "Pots, Plants and ?"  The ? is something different in each painting.  I could have titled this painting "Pots, Plants and Chili Peppers" but decided on "Mexicali Still Life" instead. The stand it is sitting on will be included in the price. It will be July before I find out if any of my entries have been accepted.  Here is the bowl.
Yesterday I was not sure what my next painting project would be.  I thought about it and since I only have one small desert scene painting left that is what I decided to do.  I am working on two of them and might have them finished today or tomorrow.  I'll post photos when they are done.

No comments: