Wednesday, October 6, 2021

12 Wooden Plaque Paintings

 It has been almost 2 months since my last blog post.  During that time I did 12 paintings.  What is different about these paintings are that they are on 11X14 wood plaques that were cut for me by my son Mark.  I painted these to show at the Owl and Rabbit Galley.  I thought it would be fun to try something other then canvas paintings.  I took them to the gallery yesterday and was happy to find out I sold 2 of the paintings featured in my last post.  Here are photos of those paintings. They are "Flight of Fancy" and "Basket of Beauty".  



Next I will post photos of the wood plaques.  Most of the subject matter are patterns that I have sold many times in the past.  I also came up with some new ideas and that are different than what I have done in the past.  I thought since so many people here travel to the beaches often, to try some ocean scenes.  Here are those paintings.

The first is titled "By the Sea-side".


This next one is titled "Day at the Beach.


This one is titled "Ocean View".


The following plaques were oval in shape and I painted 3 of my best selling horse paintings.  Which are "Flaming Mane", "Mare & Foal", and "Mighty Mustang".




Other best sellers are "Mr. Hoots", "Rooster Reveille", "Forest Royalty", and "Doe & Fawn".





The last two are still life paintings.  The first is "Duck Decoy Still Life" which is one that I have done before.  The other is a new pattern that I came up with because I wanted something with a fall theme.  I call this one "Autumn Still Life".



  

I will keep these paintings at the gallery until after Thanksgiving then change them out with something else for the Christmas season.  I'm not sure what I will paint for that showing.  I have to think on it for awhile. 

 It was so much easier when I lived in Tucson.  Almost everything I painted had a southwest theme and and almost everything I painted sold.  Now that I live in a different part of the country it is harder for me to come up with subjects that I think will sell here.  We are half way between the ocean and the mountains so that is why I painted the wood plaques with subjects that may appeal to people who prefer one over the other.

 The other good thing about Tucson is that there were so many good venues to show my work.  I am very limited in the places to sell my paintings here.  I love to create art but hate the marketing part of selling my art.  As I get older I have gotten lazier in hunting out new venues.  I don't like to do arts & craft shows and selling online is a lot of work.  I don't show at the art league gallery any more because I don't want to have to take my turn at working in the gallery.  Like I said, I have gotten lazy about marketing and just want to stay home and paint. I guess I will have to be happy to continue with showing at the Owl & Rabbit where all I have to do is drop off my paintings and they do all the work.

No comments: