Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Cactus and Horses

Sepia Cactus
20X20


Phantom Herd
14X24
Two more paintings completed.  My inspiration on the cactus painting goes back to the days when my father was a professional photographer.  This was from the 40's to the 70"s.  Back in the day when there were very few colored photographs.  Much of his work was sepia toned.  I decided to try to reproduce that look in a painting.  I was happy with the results.  The Phantom Herd is a subject I have done a number of times before and each time the painting sold.  Every version has been slightly different from the others.  I decided to do it again in yet a different way.

I am now working on another desert scene.  What makes this one different is the frame dimension which is long and narrow similar to the Phantom Herd frame.  I have had requests for a desert painting in that size from a number of people so I thought I would try it.  I have done smaller ones in that format but this one is much larger.  I am also working on a small commissioned painting of Mexican tissue paper flowers.  I'll post photos of each when they are done.

No comments: