Saturday, June 5, 2010

Garage Sale Adventure

Today was garage sale day. What an adventure. I always feel like I am on Safari looking for big game but the prey I am looking to bag are frames. The hunt was very successful today!

I may have mentioned in a previous post that all the frames I use for my paintings are recycled. I get them at garage or rummage sales and sometimes a friend will give me a frame they want to get rid of.

By using old frames I can keep my paintings at an affordable price. Have you ever taken something to a frame or craft shop to be framed? It might be a print that cost you $20 but the frame and mat will cost $150. That is why I recycle frames and paint boarders.

I don't care how beat up the frame I buy is as long as it is structurally solid. I can refinish it and sometimes I beat it up more to give it a distressed look.

I always do a painting to compliment the frame. I put a blank canvas in the frame then decide what to paint instead of doing a painting and try to find a frame it will match the painting.

The Happy Hunter unloading the van.

Another photo of what I bought today.
Some of the frames are in perfect condition and others need some work.
I paid $2 or less per frame.


Here are a collection of frames waiting for paintings.
I purchased them all at garage or rummage sales.




Below are finished paintings I have done and put in frames with a history.
(a nice way to say recycled)
Some stories I know and some I don't.
If they could talk I bet they would have a lot to tell.
Where did they come from and what paintings or photos were in them and where did they hang?
Wouldn't you love to know? I would.


This is an old frame I bought at a garage sale.
I painted it in the colors I used in the painting
and added dot work to match what I used in the border.

Fruit of the Saguaro
16x20
This frame was another garage sale find. It is rather rustic and beat up.
I liked the look and left it as is for the desert scene I created for it.

Hedgehog in Bloom
11x14
My wedding picture was in this frame which means it is over 50 years old.
Don't worry I did not throw away the photo.
I still display a small version of it along with one taken on our 50th anniversary.

My father was a professional photographer.
He operated a Studio in PA and retired in the early 1970's.
This frame came from his studio.


This bamboo frame was an interesting find.
You can see how I did the painting to compliment the frame.
I think it works well.

No comments: