Monday, January 25, 2016

Good News!

Yesterday was the opening reception for the Carnegie Center for the Arts 2016 Regional Juried Arts Exhibit. I am happy to tell you that one of the three paintings I had in the show won an Honorable Mention Award.  This is the first show that I took part in since I moved to MI.  I didn't realize what a big show this was when I entered.  There were over 100 artists and about 230 pieces of art shown.  There were 11 awards given.  I was honored to have gotten one of those awards.  I was surprised to  receive a check for $100 for the honorable mention award.  In Tucson honorable mention gave you a ribbon but no $.

 The name of this painting is "With a Moroccan Flair".  Sometimes I come up with a title for a painting and then do the painting to match that title.  In this case I did the painting and could not make up my mind on what to name it so took the easy way and named it after a painting I did in the past and sold.  Here is a photo of the painting.
 I also had some other good news yesterday.  I meet with the jury committee of the Three Rivers Artist Guild and was invited to join the guild.  Becoming a member of the guild and having 3 paintings accepted in a large show and winning an award are the beginning of me becoming a part of the west Michigan art community.  I miss all my Tucson artist friends but now feel I will make a new circle of friends in Michigan.

No comments: