Thursday, March 10, 2011

My latest painting

"Carpe Diem"
Usually when I do a painting it contains no "deeper" meaning.  I paint for the joy of painting and for the fun of using intense color.  On the other hand, this painting is full symbolism.  I did it for my grandson Michael.  He came up with the subject matter and the meaning of each item in the painting.  Here is his explanation of the meaning of the painting...."The Candle on the skull represents the time we have to live, The Flame is Life itself, The Skull, of course is the inevitability of death. The Books ( a Bible and a Journal) represent history and guidance,   The Pen and Ink represent the potential we have while we are alive."  I must admit I had lots of fun doing this painting as I did when I did the one for my Aunt which also had deep meaning.  They are both very different from my usual painting subjects which made them very interesting and exciting for me to create!

No comments: