Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Poppy painting and my vacation

So...after we finished the hardwood floor project we went on a vacation for 8 days.  Our trip was to the Washington DC area with a stop in Ohio both coming and going. We were originally  from Austintown, OH and still have family there and, as it is the half way point to DC, we were able to see both family and friends on our over night visits.  Our son Brian and wife Sarah live in Falls Church, VA and their daughter Megan and husband Paul flew in from their home in Hawaii so we had another mini family reunion with them.

 Soon after we got back home I finally had a chance to finish the painting I had started 3 weeks before.  I call it "Poppy Trio".  Size is 11X14.
 I am not going to bore you with vacation photos but I do have a couple to show you.  We took a "Duck Tour" of DC and I took tons of photos of all the landmarks but will only post one of them that I thought was artistic.
Here is another photo that I took in Falls Church.  Brian and Sarah live in the Mosaic District on Strawberry Lane where there are lots of interesting little shops.  Roger and I took lots of walks exploring the area and when I spotted this cool art work on a wall I just had to have a photo of myself taken with my new friend.
While staying in Brian and Sarah's high rise apartment I realized it was a gallery of many of my paintings.  Because they are a military family they have moved quite a few times and every time they move I do a new painting for them.  Over the years they have accumulated a fair size collection.  I took photos of all of them but since there are so many, I decide to make them into a collage.  Here are the paintings I did for them over the past 10 years or so.
Roger has built many stained glass windows for the various homes they have lived in but the windows stayed in the houses when they were sold.  They have only kept one which is a hanging panel.  The blue stars represent the two military family members.  Brian served in the Air Force for 26 years and is now retired and Sarah is still active duty and can retire in about 4 years.  Here is the stained glass panel.

No comments: