Friday, October 30, 2015

My first canvas painting done in Michigan titled "Mare and Foal #3"

Here is the first painting on canvas that I have done since my move to Michigan.  I decided to do another version of a painting I have done twice before.  Both paintings sold when I was living in Arizona.  I thought it would be a good one to do here because horse lovers are everywhere and we live in the middle of farm country.  I call it "Mare and Foal #3" because it is the third version of this subject matter. I will also post photos of the other paintings I did. Each has a different title and I will explain why I chose each name.  Here is the newest one.
I thought it would show nicely in this rustic frame.  I wanted to stick to the brown tones but decided to add accents of teal.  It seems that is a very popular color in this area. I'm not sure where I will show this painting but it is ready when an opportunity comes along.
This is the first one I did which was for a SAAG exhibition called "Double Exposure".  The premise of the show was for photographers to submit a photo which was then given to an artist to use as inspiration for a painting done in their own style.  I was paired up with Mary Nation who took the photo posted below.  It was titled "Mother and Foal"  which is what I called my painting.
When I sold the painting  at an exhibition I did in Sun City Oro Valley I decided to do another version to show at the SAAG Gallery.  It also sold.  Here it is.

I titled this one "Queen and her Prince".  I decided on that name because of the gold frame and the use of gold in the painting itself. I thought it gave the painting a royal look.

I am able to do many versions of the same painting because I do my original drawing on tracing paper.  I keep these patterns and can reuse them by transferring them onto the canvas using transfer paper.  I do this instead of having prints made of my art.  This way every painting I sell is an original  hand painted piece of art.  Even though I am using the same pattern no two paintings are exactly the same.

No comments: