Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Yet another "Surreal Saguaro" painting and another home improvement project.

It has been over three weeks since my last post.  In that time I cleaned and organized my studio.  I then started work on three projects which means my studio is no longer neat and clean which is okay with me because the only way it stays clean is if I'm not working.

 I like keeping busy so was happy when I got a commission from a former client/friend from Arizona who wanted one of my "Surreal Saguaro" paintings.  This came about when she saw a photo of the very first one I had painted 7 years ago on Facebook.  It came up on "memories" and I shared the photo.  Since I did that first one I have lost count of how many I have done and sold.  It was probably my most popular Southwest themed paining.  Here is the photo of that first "Surreal Saguaro" painting which I used as my logo on my business cards up until I moved to Michigan.  You also see it at the beginning of this blog.


Here is my newest version which should arrive in Arizona in a few days.  As I mentioned, I have done many versions of this painting but no two are exactly the same.

Our latest home improvement project is the re-do of our first floor powder room.  I decided that since we had a pedestal sink, I need something for storage.  I have a small three drawer chest that I got at a yard sale many years ago and used in my shop.  It was pretty rough looking because of paint spatters that accumulated over the years.  It was just what I needed for the powder room.  I removed all the paint spatters and then painted it and got new knobs.  I thought it would be better to keep it simple.  Instead of making it too fancy I chose to paint a small wooden plate and set it on a decorative easel.  Since I have been on a calla lily kick lately I used the same pattern I did little while back but used colors that would match my powder room.  
This is the before photo and the next photo is what it looks like now and a close up of the plate.


The powder room was a plain-jane room with light beige walls, vinyl floor, simple light fixture and plate glass mirror.  Roger tiled the floor and wall.  We painted the walls and put up a new light fixture and mirror. I added a few decorator pieces and a painting I did years ago that I used in my master bath in Arizona.  We now have an attractive powder room for our guests.  The room is only 7' X 3' so it was hard to get good photos.


It is time to start work on a new painting and more home improvement projects!

No comments: