Monday, March 14, 2016

Fruit and family art

When I was in Tucson I lived next door to George and Gloria Magee.  They were great neighbors. Both George and Gloria are prize winning quilters.  A number of years ago I asked permission to do a painting based on one of their quilts.  I sold the painting the first time that I showed it so I did another one and it sold first time out also.  Since I moved to Michigan I have decided that painting quilt patterns would be good subject matter for this area.  I again asked permission from G&G to do paintings based on their quilts.  They gave me permission and sent me photos of all their quilts.  I will be doing a series inspired by their beautiful handwork.  Since I had been so successful on selling the one I did years ago I thought I would start with that pattern.  Here is a photo of the quilt.
I choose four of the blocks for my painting.  The cantaloupe, cherries, grapes and blueberries.
Here is the newest painting which I call "Tuttie Fruttie".
These are the first and second version that I painted a number of years ago.
I have a few other projects that I will be working on before I do another quilt inspired painting.

The next image I am posting is not by me but by my 16 year old grand-daughter Samantha.  She did it as an assignment in her art class and it was chosen to be shown in the St. Joseph County all High School at the Carnegie Center.  It is done in colored pencils.  I thought it was pretty cool that I showed at the Carnegie and now my grand-daughter is showing there.

No comments: