Thursday, February 18, 2016

A frustrating photo session!

I finished a project this week and took the photos today to post here.  The project was a bowl that I did to be a companion piece to a tray I did while I was in AZ and brought with me when I made the move to MI.  They both are decorated with butterflies.  I took a few photos of the tray and one was pretty good.
I then took a number of photos of the bowl.  None of them were very good so I tried again, and again, and again......I probably took 400 or more shots.  I would do maybe 20 and download them and delete them and then take another 30 and go through the same process of downloading and deleting.  I kept increasing the number I took each time.  I tried different areas of the house and different backgrounds and different light and camera settings.  The problem is that the contour of the bowl allows for a light reflection spot.  I could not use a flash but any light in the room still made a spot.  Some photos were too dark.  Some were too blurry.  I have always had this problem when taking a photo of a bowl.  I was bound and determined to get a good one this time.  After two hours I finally gave up and picked a couple that are so-so.  I deleted all the others.  Here are the ones I chose.



These are not as sharp as I would like but at least they don't have that darn light spot.

Towards the end of my so called photo shoot I was trying my bedroom as a new location and just as an experiment took a few photos of a chair I painted many years ago.  Those pictures came out great so I decided to post them.  I love this little chair.  I got it for FREE at a yard sale.  It was pretty sorry looking because it had sat in a shed for years and was spotted with paint and someone had cut the legs short..  I asked how much she wanted for it and she said she was going to throw it away and I could have it at no charge.  I stripped the old paint off of it and painted it and we put casters on it to raise it up.  I liked it so much that I decided to keep it for myself and not sell it.  Here is my pretty little bedroom chair.
A few years later when I decided to enter a canvas painting contest I used this chair for inspiration for one of the paintings.  That was my first contest.  I won third place and peoples choice award on one painting and got an honorable mention on the painting based on this chair.  That was the start of my fine art career.  Also, I sold both paintings on the opening night of the show. Here is a photo of both paintings.

No comments: