Wednesday, August 13, 2014

"Pretty & Prickly" in bold colors

I have always loved the color combination of purple, chartreuse and red.  The reason I favor this color palette comes from my past.  In 1950 when I was a young girl, my artistic mother acquired a very old house.  It was definitely a fixxer-upper.  She converted it  into apartments as an income property.  We lived in the upstairs apartment.  She was way ahead of her time with her design plan.  It was an open concept with a dropped living room with a step up to the dining room which flowed into the kitchen.  There was a curved booth at the end of the eat in kitchen.  An open stairway led to the attic which was my play room.  Two bedrooms were off of the dining area.  My room shared a curved wall with the living room.  We had vertical blinds on all the windows.  (Remember this was 1950 when all blinds were horizontal)  If you took a time machine back and stepped out into that 1950 apartment you would think you were still in the present day.  That place would fit into any HGTV remodel show that is on the air now.  It was beautiful and here is the point of all of this....the colors she used were purple, chartreuse and red.  The color combination was bold but tastefully executed.  I lived in this apartment for 4 years but it left a lifelong influence on me and a knowledge of how innovated my mother was.  It also influenced my mother's life because it led to her converting other houses into apartments and getting interior decorating jobs.

This was a long round about way of introducing my latest painting which is a new version of "Pretty and Prickly.  I had that color palette stuck in my mind so I took artistic license and did the cactus red and flowers chartreuse on a purple background.  Size is 11X14.

No comments: