Monday, August 18, 2014

"Images of Steam Pump Ranch"

Steam Pump Ranch in Oro Valley was established in 1874 as a way station for the southern Arizona cattle industry.  Today the remains of the ranch are mostly intact and have become a historical site.  Many activities take place on the grounds of the ranch including a farmer's market on Saturday morning.  Recently we went to the farmer's market and while there I walked around the property and took some photos.  I decided I wanted to do a Steam Pump Ranch painting.  There were so many interesting things that I could paint. I had a hard time choosing what I would do when I had the idea to do a 4 in 1 painting.  I picked four of my favorite images and put them into this painting.

I chose to do it in an 11X14 size because I had this old beat up rustic frame that I thought would be perfect for the theme of the painting.  It reminded me of some of the weather worn out buildings of the ranch.  Here are the photos I took that gave me inspiration for the painting.
Because the images that I painted were so small I cropped in and simplified the back grounds.  I also put my own twist on the painting with my choice of colors which I think make the painting "POP".  I had fun doing this one.  My next project is a classic desert scene in a 16X20 size.

No comments: