Saturday, July 19, 2014

"Magnolia"

One of my favorite artists is Georgia O'Keeffe.  I have always been attracted to her paintings that feature a large flower.  That was my inspiration for this painting.  I wanted to do a white flower on a light background and remembered a painting I did of a magnolia on a 16X20 canvas which I sold a few years ago.  I decided that it would be perfect for this 24X24X2 inch art box.  I printed a copy of the original painting to jog my memory on the color palette.  I based coated the board in a lighter color than the first painting then I freehand sketched the flower and started painting the flower.  In less than 24 hours I had it completed.  Here is a photo of it along with the first "Magnolia" painting.
I really enjoy painting flowers but it is my southwest style paintings that are my best sellers so I do more of those.  It has been awhile since I painted a cactus flower which combines the floral and southwest themes so maybe I'll consider that for my next canvas painting.  For now though, I am going to concentrate on base coating domino train stations and working on some functional items.

No comments: