Friday, July 11, 2014

Asymmetrical Desert Scene Bowl

I finished this bowl.  It is an interesting piece because the sides of the bowl are asymmetrical.  It is lower on one side then increases about an inch or so around to the other side.  The problem is that you really can't see the shape in the photos.  When  you see it in person it is very obvious.  The outside of the bowl is painted a deep purple and I did one of my classic desert scenes with a geometric design on the inside of the bowl.  Here are the photos.
I worked on this bowl to help me clear my mind while I decided what new painting I would do on the artist board you saw in my last post.  I had a number of people say they liked the original painting that I covered over with black but I wasn't happy with it so it went bye-bye.  Yesterday I had the word "Masquerade" pop into my mind and the vision of a doodle I did a while back came to me.  Since I wanted this painting to be something different from my usual southwest-folk art style I decided go with this really off the wall idea.  I started at 4 pm yesterday by drawing the the pattern on the board and applied most of the base coat by bed time.  I was up early today and finished the base coat and shading and am ready for the decorative design work.  It is definitely something different from what I normally paint.  I'm not sure what kind of reaction I will get from this painting but I am having fun creating it.  I'll post a photo when it is done.

No comments: