Sunday, July 6, 2014

An Artist's Dilemma! What do I do?

In yesterday's post I told you I was working on a painting I was going to title "Painted Patchwork".  I started working on it weeks ago before I went on my last trip.  I spent hours working up the idea.  I made a template on the computer then had to work out the math to get it spaced out correctly on the art board.  Next I had to tape and paint and re-tape and paint over and over.  After that I started on the decorative design work.  I have many hours into this project.  So what is the problem?  The problem is I didn't like what I was doing.  I continued to work on it and was almost finished.  Usually when I am unsure of a painting the more I work on it the better I like it but that was not the case this time.  I kept telling myself to finish the painting but I just couldn't do it.  So I made a decision.  I stopped working on it and got out the black paint and poured it over all my weeks of work.  I used a crumpled bag to texture the black paint so none of the original painting would show through.  Here are photos of before and after.

Was I crazy to do this?  I don't think so.  I have peace of mind over what I did. It is not often that I am unhappy with a painting but this one was the exception. I now have a nice black back ground ready for a new painting.  I'm not sure what It will be but I'll think on it for awhile and am sure I will come up with an idea.  I may work on a bowl while I am waiting for inspiration to hit me.  

No comments: